Two Mobile Blood Banks set up at Son’s on State Street in Quarryville from 3-8pm with eight beds available for donors. The goal was to beat 46 units from the last blood drive Son’s held. Everyone that came out and at least tried to donate received plenty of goodies – a free blood donor t-shirt, a regular Italian ice from Son’s and a $50 gift card for Moove In Self Storage – not to mention that everyone helped to save lives right here in PA!
Here are some quick facts about blood donation from the Central Pennsylvania Blood Bank:
- Only 5% of the population donates blood. If 10% would donate, we could possible eliminate blood shortages.
- If you are at least 16 years old, weigh at least 110 pounds and are in good health, you can most likely donate blood.
- A healthy adult has around 10-12 pints of blood in his or her body – you can easily spare one pint to donate. Your body will completely replenish that one pint within 24 hours.
- Every two seconds, someone needs blood.
- One out of every five people who enter a hospital will need blood.
- Giving just one hour of your time and one pint of your blood can save up to four local lives!
Our own Marylou Dickson, Property Manager at our Quarryville location, worked with Son’s to promote the event and rolled up her sleeves to donate. Way to go, Marylou!
Jason Carl, District Manager for Investment Real Estate Management, (and Marylou’s boss) took the plunge and joined Marylou by donating blood. Thumbs up for him!
Community involvement is key. The blood donated within our local communities stays in Central PA and supports local area hospitals. At this blood drive, 48 people came out to donate and The Central Pennsylvania Blood Bank collected 33 units of blood. We didn’t reach the goal of 46 units, but it feels great to say we helped to save 99 lives in our local communities! We are glad to help out such a great cause and we plan on partnering with local businesses and the Central Pennsylvania Blood Bank for future blood drives. We encourage you to take a few moments and consider blood donation. It’s a great way to help out your local community and help save lives. What else can you do in one hour that can have that kind of impact? It truly is the “Gift of Life”.
For more information on donating blood, you can contact the Central Pennsylvania Blood Bank by calling 1-800-771-0059 or visiting their website at www.cpbb.org.