You are using a self storage unit to keep all your extra stuff organized and out of your house. You don’t visit it that often, typically just a few times a year, and sometimes you even forget you have it! So it’s not that big of a shocker when you realize you forgot to make your payment this month. In the rush, rush, rush days we now live in, things like this can easily slip your mind and get missed. Just take a deep breath and remember it’s not the end of the world. Rather, it’s a small set back and can be easily remedied.
As soon as you notice that you forgot to make your self storage payment, the first step is to call your property manager. He or she is always happy to speak with you and help you with your self storage needs, whatever they may be. The last thing you want is to start accruing late fees on your account (starting on the 15th of the month). To prevent that from happening (or from getting additional late fees if you already went past the 5th of the month), you need to make your payment in full immediately.
We offer several convenient payment methods for our self storage customers:
- Pay over the phone when you call into the office with a credit or debit card. If you call after business hours, you can still make a payment with our after hours counselors. However, please be aware they only operate Monday-Friday 8am-12am, Saturday 8am-10pm and Sunday 10am-8pm. They are also closed on major holidays.
- Stop in to the rental office with cash, check or your credit or debit card and pay in person during regular business hours.
- Visit our website and make a payment online through the payment portal with a credit or debit card.
- Set up automatic payments that will be withdrawn from your account on the 1st of every month – preventing any future late payments. If you are someone who tends to forget things like this, you may want to seriously consider this option going forward.
- Mail your payment (check or money order) to the rental office. This option, however, is not encouraged if you are already late. We recommend mailing your payment at least seven days prior to the 1st of the month to ensure we receive it on time. Keep in mind that using the postal service is not a 100% guarantee that your payment will arrive by the due date, so it’s best to be early when using this route.
Please remember that late fees will begin to accrue on your account starting after the 5th of the month (after the 15th of the month in Maryland) and can add up quickly over time. Once you hit 30 days past due, your account is considered to be in default, access is denied to your storage unit, a lien letter is sent to you and the auction process will begin. And you certainly want to avoid all that if possible, as do we. The last thing we want to do is to auction off your storage unit contents. Partial payments are not accepted. You must pay the rental amount plus late fees in full.
Having a missed payment every now and then is not all that terrible. As long as we receive your payment by the 5th of the month, you are all set. If you have any questions about making payments, you can contact us at any time or give our helpful property managers a call.