Your belongings are important. Use these handy tips on how to pack for storage so your items arrive safely.
- Plan Ahead. Gather up plenty of sturdy, corrugated cartons, packing paper, bubble wrap, sealing tape and marker pens, along with any furniture covers. You can purchase all of these supplies in the retail shop located inside the Moove In Self Storage rental office.
- Seal Tightly. Tightly sealing boxes with packing tape will prevent dust from entering. Make sure the flaps are closed completely with little or no gaps before you tape them shut. Be sure to check the bottoms of the boxes and re-tape if necessary.
- Wrap Furniture Legs. Wrap furniture legs with protective bubble wrap, furniture covers or pads to prevent scratching. Leave slipcovers on upholstered chairs and cover them with plastic chair covers. Tape or tie bed rails together. Mark the pieces for easy assembly later. Place covers or plastic bags on mattresses to keep them clean during storage.
- Label Boxes. Label boxes on all sides for easy identification. Keep a list (as well as pictures and descriptions) at your home or office for reference. Clearly mark all boxes containing fragile items. Make sure fragile boxes are placed on top of heavier, less delicate boxes.
- Pack Inside Nooks And Crannies. Use valuable space inside dresser drawers and larger appliances, such as stoves and refrigerators, to store small items such as towels, linens and small, fragile items. Secure items in drawer by filling empty spaces with towels or packing paper. Be sure not to pack the drawers with heavy items so moving the furniture is not too difficult.
- Pack Heavier Items In Smaller Boxes. Pack heavy items such as books and tools in small boxes. For easier handling limit the weight of all cartons, regardless of size, to 30 lbs. or less.
- Use Same Size Boxes. Pack as much as you can in the same size boxes. Fill boxes tightly, but take care to neither over pack nor under pack. (Bulging cartons tip when stacked, while half full boxes tend to collapse). Purchase packing paper, bubble wrap, rags, towels or blankets from your self storage facility to fill in empty spaces. For maximum protection, seal cartons with tape.
- Clean And Dry Appliances Before Storing. Secure all movable parts with paper, or wedge and wrap a paper pad around each item for protection. During transport tape all doors shut, but remember to wedge them open for storage.
- Pack Books Flat. Pack books flat to protect their spines. Line cartons with plastic and fill empty spaces with paper.
- Use A Lot Of Paper! Use lots of paper to pack dishes and glassware. Place a layer of packing paper inside the bottom and top of cartons. Wrap each dish and glass separately and cushion them with crumpled paper.
- Use Wardrobe Boxes. Hang clothes and draperies in wardrobe boxes rather than folding everything. This will keep them from becoming excessively wrinkled and make them easier to access later.
- Pack Lamps Individually. Pack lamps and lamp shades in individual boxes. Use plenty of clean paper or clothing for padding.
- Pad Mirrors. Pad mirrors and paintings with paper. Place them in special mirror packs or large boxes. Be sure to clearly mark boxes as fragile and do not stack anything on top of them when storing.